MTN NATIONAL MTB SERIES - XCM #4 driven by NISSAN
|Date:||04/05 May 2013|
|Venue:||Town Square, Clarens, FS 28°30"8.35'S 28°25"12.62'E|
|Terrain:||Rocky | Dry | Arid | Savanna|
|Elevation:||1814m | Ascent: 1760m (Ultra) | 1122m (74km) | 907m (40km)|
|Features:||Slick Rock | As River | Custom built single track|
|Registration:||Fri 03/05 17:00-21:00 & Sat 04/05 06h30 - 08h30 & Sun 05/05 06h30 - 08h30|
|Enter Online:||ONLINE ENTRIES ARE CLOSED - LATE ENTRIES ARE AVAILABLE AT REGISTRATION DAYS BELOW|
Route Maps: (Click on the icon below to view the map)
|06h30-08h30:||Registration & Line Entries|
|04/05 07h00:||Riders Briefing / Leaders Jersey Handover|
|04/05 07h15:||Start MTN ULTRA UCI PRO/Elite 103km Race|
|04/05 08h30:||Start MTN Marathon 74km "A" Ladies|
|04/05 08h40:||Start MTN Marathon 74km "A". Batches at +3min intervals|
|04/05 11h45:||Winner of Marathon 74km Expected|
|04/05 12h15:||Winner of UCI PRO/Elite Men expected|
|04/05 13h00:||Prize Giving|
|06h30-08h00:||Registration & Line Entries|
|05/05 07h45:||Riders Briefing / Leaders Jersey Handover|
|05/05 08h00:||Start Half-Marathon 40km "A". Batches at +5min intervals|
|05/05 08h45:||Start Fun Race 20km|
|05/05 09h45:||Winner Fun Race|
|0505 10h15:||Winner Half-Marathon|
|05/05 12h00:||Prize Giving|
Closing date for online entries 28/04/2013 Midnight
Registration will take place at the Protea Hotel, cnr Main str and V.D Merwe str, Clarens.
Early Bird entries close - 10/04/2013 Midnight
Fun Race - R90.00
Half Marathon - R160.00
Marathon - R190.00
Ultra - R220.00
Normal Online entry Fees close - 28/04/2013 Midnight
Fun Race - R110.00
Half Marathon - R190.00
Marathon - R220.00
Ultra - R250.00
Late Entry Fees on 03/05/2013 & 04/05/2013
Fun Race - R160.00
Half Marathon - R240.00
Marathon - R270.00
Ultra - R300.00
- Prize money & Points will be calculated for the Elite Men in this distance only.
- Elite ladies will earn points & prize money in the usual 74km marathon distance only.
- All other categories will only be eligible for points and prize money in the usual distance.
- As this event is held in the summer, the cyclist may experience hot or rainy to cool weather and should be prepared to cope with these conditions.
- The (103km) Ultra Marathon will have a total of 4 water points along the route.
- First Aid Services will be provided to the cyclists on the routes and at the finish.
- The organisers may, at their discretion, shorten, lengthen or change the course if the weather, or safety of the cyclist, deem this necessary.
- A Pasta evening is included for all participants, additional tickets are available at a extra fee for all non-participants.
- Bike wash facilities will be available at the finish area
Teams / Riders / Public Parking Location: Teams have access to the Event Venue, and setup in the teams designated area next to the finish area. Riders will park just adjacent to the race venue next to the town square, and the public at the designated public parking zones, outside the riders parking zone, just off the town square in the adjacent streets.. Nearest Hospital and Medical Information: A wide range of professional medical services are available, including:
- 1Ambulance - ER24 - Private Emergency Numbers 084 124
- Medical Clinic Emergency Numbers (058) 256 1476
- Dr PJ Janse van Rensburg Emergency Numbers (058) 256 1843
- Fire Department Emergency Numbers (058) 303 5161
- Meander Surgery - Dr Pauline Sheehan Emergency Numbers (058) 256 1036
- Police Emergency Emergency Numbers (058) 256 6000 or 10177
Approximate riding times:
- 103km: 5h00min – 8 hours
- 74km: 3 – 6 hours
- 40km: 2 – 4 hours
- Cut-off – 74km @ 12h45 (5.5hrs)
Pasta Evening: Pasta evening will take place on Friday 04th May at the Protea Hotel. Vegitarian Pasta - R25 per person. Meat Pasta - R35 per person. Bike Wash Bay: Take advantage of the great service from Powasol, the official Bike Wash partner to the MTN National MTB Series.
- Wash only R30
- Wash, Polish and Lube R50
Pre book your Bike wash at http://www.powasol.co.za/ and save R10.
“Ultra Marathon” – 103km
Exploring many of the foothills surrounding Clarens, the route windes closer along the highland kingdom, Lesotho, discovering great trails and picturesque scenery! This great route has been improved this year, and you'll find yourself in what must be the most scenic and wonderful part of South Africa!
The trails are mostly natural with some amazing diverse and incredible off-road riding literally chiselled out of the landscape!
There are no official shuttle services on offer, public transport is available from JHB International airport, and this is the quickest way of getting to the venue. Clarens is situated about 3hours drive from Johannesburg International. Accommodation: Accommodation information on all available accommodation can be obtained from Tourist Information Web Site or from Clarens Tourism, Booking Officer , Tel: (058) 256 1542 or book online on Web site: www.clarens.co.za. Clarens destinations; Tel: 058 256 1542/1622 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Directions from Johannesburg:
- Take the N3 from Johannesburg to Durban.
- As you cross the Vaal River at Villiers, before the Toll Gate, turn off the N3 and follow the R26 to Frankfort.
- Continue with the R26 until you get to a T-Junction.
- Turn to your right towards Frankfort. Continue past the Villiers/ Vereeniging turn-off, cross the Vaal River.
- Soon after the Engen One Stop, turn off at the Villiers/Frankfort off ramp (±47 km from the first toll gate).
- Turn right at the top of the off-ramp and cross over the highway towards Frankfort (R26)
- 30 km from turn-off turn right at the T-Junction (R26)
- 7 km from T-Junction turn left at Reitz/Bethlehem direction sign (still R26).
- 58 km from turn, you by-pass Reitz en route to Bethlehem.
- 53 km from Reitz, you reach Bethlehem. Continue straight through Bethlehem
- 7 km from Bethlehem, turn onto the R711/2 to Golden Gate & Clarens.
- You are about 25 km’s from Clarens.
- You will pass through the Noupoort or “Nek” of Clarens.
- Continue down the hill until you see the road leading into the village at the bottom of the hill.
- Turn right into the village of Clarens.
Clarens is a beautiful part of the world and is also nice and central for many up-country riders. Being just 3hrs away from Johannesburg, Bloemfontein and Pietermaritzburg no reason to miss this beautifull event, so make sure you are there for this inaugral event. Situated in the Eastern Free State, Clarens is such a scenic and wonderful place that it is a big source of inspiration for many artists.
For the last three years the event caused quite a stirr, as it was said that the route is on world standards. And completely blew everyone away! The route is probably the most visually appealing and varied but challenging one that we have ever put together. It follows sand road, jeep track, huge rock-trails and single track over some of the most incredible rock landscapes in this country. This is all virgin land for mountain bikers as most of it is private land, so don't miss this opportunity. Home to various types of wildlife so you are guaranteed to see some around.
Clarens is a circular loop race; it will start in the Clarens Town Square, Clarens, Free State and finish at the same venue. This spectacular route crosses the Maluti Mountains on the edge of the Lesthoto border, which is the highest mountain range in South Africa. The race has been in existence for 5 years and has grown tremendously the riding is absolutely unique and spectacular.
Bring the family and make a weekend of this event in the picturesque town of Clarens, featuring art galleries, gift shops and some of the best food in the country!
Clarens Village Conservancy trail building project:
Advendurance have partnered with the Clarens Village Conservancy to help develop trails around the town of Clarens! Starting next week will be the first step in a series of permanent trails that will be made in the Clarens Village Conservancy. The first trail will be a 4km of sweet single track bypassing the rock steps in the kloof mountain hiking trail making it ridable all the way from the top of the mountain down to the dam.
Ultimate Sports Nutrition from USN:
We've got USN as the official Nutrition partner of the MTN National MTB Series. You can expect to be treated pre race to post race, you can even leave your stuff at home, they'll look after you! Experience what the best athletes in our country use! http://www.usn.co.za
CLARENS PROTEA HOTEL SPECIALS & RATES:
Turbo Breakfasts served from 6h00am
Quote webMTB and receive 15% discount on all room rates!
Exclusive Protea guest only bike wash from 9am - 4pm on Saturday & Sunday!
Exclusive Protea Hotel Only Guest private secure bike bay!
MTB Pasta Menu Registration Take away:
- Penne Pasta With Napolitano Sauce – R25
- Mince and Macaroni Baked Pasta with Cheese Sauce – R35
- Potato and Leek Soup and Home-made Breads
- Salad Selector
- Mixed Seafood Linguine
- Chicken Lasagne
- Mince Lasagne
- Vegetable Baked Pasta
- Apple Baked Pudding with Custard
- Fresh Fruit Salad